"Palestine is big" --
PA says it includes all of Israel
3 PA TV shows present Israeli places
Tiberias, Rosh Hanikra and all of Israel as "Palestine"
by Itamar Marcus and Nan Jacques Zilberdik
Contrary to the repeated statements by Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas to foreign leaders that the PA recognizes Israel, the PA internally in Arabic continues to deny Israel's existence and to present a world without Israel.
The PA transmits the message to its people that it does not recognize Israel's existence, describing all Israeli land, cities and regions as "Palestinian." Palestinian TV is one tool among many used by the PA to disseminate this message.
In three recent programs on PA TV, which is owned by the PA and operated under the auspices of Mahmoud Abbas's office, Palestinians were presented with a world without Israel, which is the most explicit non-recognition:
The following are the transcripts and context of the statements defining Israel as "Palestine":
1. The Israeli city of Tiberias was said to be "in northern Palestine, close to the Palestinian-Jordanian-Syrian border."
- "Palestine" could not share a border with Syria unless Israel did not exist. Tiberias is in northern Israel and not "northern Palestine."
2. The coast of "Palestine" was said in an educational program to be 224 km. long, reaching Rosh Hanikra in northern Israel.
- The coast of "Palestine" could not be 224 km. long unless there were no Israel, since the coast of the Gaza Strip is only 40 km. long.
3. "Palestine is big - 27,000 sq. km.," said PA TV host.
- The area of "Palestine" could not be 27,000 sq. km. unless Israel were to disappear, since the West Bank and Gaza together are only about 6,000 sq. km.
1. Host: "In Palestine there are very beautiful historical sites and cultural and natural sites... The city of Tiberias is one such area, where history, nature and water come together."
Reporter: "The city of Tiberias is in northern Palestine, close to the Palestinian-Jordanian-Syrian border."
[PA TV (Fatah), Nov. 23, 2010]
2. Question on PA TV quiz show The Stars for university students:
"The length of Palestine's coast, along the Mediterranean Sea from Rosh Hanikra to Rafah is:
1. 152 km.
2. 224 km.
3. 375 km."
Representative from Bethlehem University answers:
[His answer is confirmed correct.]
Note: Rosh Hanikra is Israel's most northern coastal point, and the coast of "Palestine" would be 224 km. long only if Israel did not exist.
[PA TV (Fatah), Nov. 26, 2010]
3. Amal Daraghmeh, chairman of the committee planning the "Palestine Conference for Public Relations, Communications and Media" said on PA TV that he hopes to include as many Palestinians as possible in the conference. The PA TV host responded: "Palestine is big - 27,000 sq. km."
[PA TV (Fatah), Nov. 29, 2010]