PMW Incitement Watch
The PA during the proximity talks,
by Itamar Marcus, Nan Jacques Zilberdik and Barbara Crook
|US State Department:
"After completing the first round of proximity talks with Israeli and Palestinian leaders, both parties are taking some steps to help create an atmosphere that is conducive to successful talks, including President Abbas's statement that he will work against incitement of any sort..."
[Washington D.C., May 9, 2010]
The start of the proximity talks in May 2010 created hope for the renewal of the Israeli-Palestinian peace process. Palestinian Authority (PA) Chairman and Fatah leader Mahmoud Abbas declared that the PA would fulfill its commitments, with special focus on stopping incitement.
[PA TV (Fatah), broadcast live June 4, 2010,
and then on June 24, July 9, July 13, July 16, July 20]
However, the first two months have brought no changes in the quality of the messages being transmitted from the Palestinian Authority and Fatah to Palestinians. An examination of the Palestinian leaders' statements, official media, children's programs and PA- and Fatah-controlled events reveals the following: The conditions, principles and expectations set by the US and the Quartet for accepting the Palestinian Authority as a partner in the peace process continue to be violated by the Palestinian Authority.
Contrary to the Palestinian Authority's moderate statements to the West, its statements to its people in Arabic continue to delegitimize Israel's existence, deny Israel's right to exist, define the conflict with Israel as a religious war for Allah, promote hatred through demonization, slander and libel, and glorify terror and violence:
- The PA continues to teach on PA educational TV that Israeli cities across the entire country, including Jaffa and Haifa, are Palestinian cities.
- The official media deny Israel's right to exist by using terminology to refer to Israel as "the homeland occupied in '48."
- The conflict with Israel is defined by PA-appointed political and religious leaders not as territorial but as Ribat -- a religious war for Allah.
- The PA senior religious leader demonizes Jews as the "enemies of God."
- PA TV host: "The Jews are our enemies, right?"
- The PA continues to honor terrorists.
- PA-Fatah leader defends "the right to return to the armed conflict."
- PA-Fatah leader explains negotiations as "a tactical decision, i.e., a temporary, defensive decision."
Click here to see full PMW Incitement Watch, May 2010 in PDF