Is the PA preparing its people for peace?
preparing its people for peace?
PMW Incitement Watch looks at the PA
during the peace talks, July - August 2010
by Itamar Marcus, Nan Jacques Zilberdik and Barbara Crook
Click here to see the complete report
The following is the introduction to the report:
|US State Department on Israeli-Palestinian peace talks: |
"After completing the first round of proximity talks with Israeli and Palestinian leaders both parties are taking some steps to help create an atmosphere that is conducive to successful talks, including President Abbas's statement that he will work against incitement of any sort..."
[Washington D.C. May 9, 2010]
The start of the proximity talks in May 2010 created hope for the renewal of the Israeli-Palestinian peace process. Palestinian Authority (PA) Chairman and Fatah leader Mahmoud Abbas declared that the PA would fulfill its commitments, with special focus on stopping incitement.
|Map of "Palestine" erases all of Israel, displayed at Fatah event.|
[PA TV (Fatah),
Aug. 31, 2010]
However, the first four months, May-August, brought no changes in the quality of the messages being transmitted from the Palestinian Authority and Fatah to Palestinians. An examination of the Palestinian leaders' statements, official media, children's programs and PA and Fatah- controlled events reveals the following: The conditions, principles and expectations set by the US and the Quartet for accepting the Palestinian Authority as a partner in the peace process continue to be violated by the Palestinian Authority.
Contrary to the PA's moderate statements to the West, its statements to its people in Arabic continue to delegitimize Israel's existence, deny Israel's right to exist, define the conflict with Israel in religious terms, promote hatred through demonization and libels, and glorify terror and violence:
- The PA continues to teach on PA educational TV that Israeli cities across the entire country, including Jaffa and Haifa, are Palestinian cities.
- The official PA media deny Israel's right to exist by using terminology that refers to Israel as "Palestinian Interior" and "the homeland occupied in '48."
- Maps used by the PA still erase and replace Israel with "Palestine."
- The conflict with Israel is defined by PA-appointed political and religious leaders not as territorial but as a religious conflict, sometimes even as Ribat - religious war.
- The PA continues to demonize Israelis and Jews:
- PA daily: Israel spreads drugs among Palestinian youth.
- PA TV and daily: Israel killed Arafat
- The PA continues to honor terrorists and glorify violence:
- PA TV: "The Martyr who bears arms threatens the enemy."
- PA summer camps teach kids "the culture of resistance [violence], the culture of stones and guns"