Fox News: PMW documentation shows PA not acting like a potential peace partner
Abbas is Not Showing Signs
That He Wants Peace With Israel
by Abraham Cooper
Key supporters of a two-state solution, including the Obama administration, see a potential silver lining in Hamas’ Gaza debacle. Hamas’ defeat could pave the way for a quick deal between Mahmoud Abbas’ Palestinian Authority and Israel...
Abbas... has a strange way of signaling to Israelis that he wants peace.
– Despite the murders of three Israeli teens, despite thousands of rockets and missiles hurled at Israeli cities, despite the superhighway of terror tunnels, Hamas remains a partner in Abbas’ unity government. The U.S. continues to back this partnership. No Israeli leader can make a deal with Hamas as a co-signer.
– Abbas has signaled to the Israelis that they must agree at the start of talks to withdraw to the indefensible 1967 border, or he will go to the International Criminal Court to seek indictments for war crimes against Israeli leaders and soldiers.
– While Abbas did not support Hamas’ actions, a study by the respected Palestinian Media Watch details a barrage of hate unleashed by the PA and its affiliate, Fatah.
In criticizing Israel’s Gaza operations, op-eds and speeches declared their Jewish neighbors were worse than Nazis. The memory of the Shoah is desecrated, its imagery co-opted to demonize the offspring of 6 million Holocaust victims.
Here are a few examples:
(PMW Ed. note: All of the following exampes were taken from PMW's report Holocaust Desecration by the PA during the 2014 Gaza Operation)
“[Israel] did more evil and more horrifying things than what happened in the Nazi crematoria”
– Former PA Minister of Prisoners Issa Karake, Ma’an, July 25, 2014
“The insane Israeli war… is reenacting the Holocaust against the Arab Palestinian people.”
– Omar Hilmi Al-Ghoul, former adviser, PA Prime Minister Salam Fayyad, Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, July 21, 2014
“Children have become the fuel for Israel’s Holocaust and war against Gaza.”
– Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, July 15, 2014
“[Israel is committing a] mass extermination as the Nazis did in Europe in the 1940s.”
– Fatah Deputy General, Central Committee Jibril Rajoub Awdah, independent Palestinian TV channel, July 14, 2014
“[Gazans are] undergoing the Holocaust of the 21st century by the barbaric occupation, which takes pride in murdering children.”
–District Governor of Ramallah Laila Ghannam, Ma’an, July 31, 2014
“Israel has murdered over two million Palestinian children…
Jewish children murdered in the Nazi Holocaust …did not exceed a million and a quarter.”
– Former PA Minister of Prisoners Issa Karake, Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, July 23, 2014
The official PA daily even used Holocaust imagery to deny Israel’s right to exist:
“This war has proved once again that Israel is a completely artificial state without historic or moral roots... Netanyahu is a descendant of the Nazis [who] worships Hitler’s ways and imitates him in all the Holocausts he has perpetrated.”
– Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, Aug. 3, 2014
... The U.S. should demand that the PA stop demonizing its neighbor.
Unless the Obama administration and other “peacemakers” force the PA to talk peace to its own constituents, the toxic yield from its harvest of hate will poison hopes for peace for years to come.